Friday, February 10, 2012

Peer Pressure

So I came to a realization this morning. I don't hate the really skinny girls in the magazines. I don't. I hate the tv shows and movies and books that force teenage girls to think that having low self esteem is cool. Really, if girls were taught that that it's okay to not care what people think instead of being taught to hate other girls for being pretty, think of what might happen.

I mean seriously, and maybe it's just my group of friends, but I feel more pressure to NOT wear make-up, to NOT wear fashionable clothes, to NOT try to look my best. I like wearing pink and make-up and smelling nice.
I mean sure, I wear tragically hip clothes (I pretty much just shop in Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters now, with a little bit of Target) and that's not everyone's idea of super fashionable.

See, apparently in some circles it's not okay to be yourself if being yourself isn't being a "nonconformist".


Actually, all of this upsets me. I'm not allowed to think I'm pretty without being vain. I'm not allowed to wear make-up without being self-conscious (I see make-up as an accessory).  I'm not allowed to wear skirts without being a whore.

It just doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment